"Meaning helps us see in the dark." Rachel Naomi Remen, MD
When life seems overwhelming, purpose helps us find meaning and stay true to our values.
And research indicates that leading a purposeful life pays all kinds of dividends. People who report living with a sense of meaning and purpose are found to have
- greater resilience in the face of challenges and stressors;
- better overall physical and mental health, including less heart disease and depression;
- longer lives, outliving their peers (whether age 20 or age 75);
- protection against memory loss, including Alzheimer's disease.
Here are some tips for defining a current sense of purpose.
- Check in with yourself. Look at the big picture in a fresh way. Why do you get up in the morning? What brings meaning to your life? When do you feel satisfaction? When do you feel most in sync with your values?