We all know that one of the best ways to stay healthy is to be active. Regular exercise can help reduce the risk of some cancers, lower your chance of heart disease, help control type 2 diabetes, lower cholesterol, and much more.
So why not register for our upcoming Rowan Hospice Share the Care 5K, which will benefit you while helping out our hospice program all at the same time? The Rowan Hospice and all of Hospice and Palliative CareCenter is dependent on the donations we receive from wonderful, caring people in our community. While hospice care is paid for in part by Medicare, Medicaid and most private insurance, that reimbursement doesn’t fully cover the costs of care. Fundraisers like this 5K and other donations from the community help our patients and families here in Salisbury and Rowan County, as well as the other 12 counties our organization serves.
Whether you run or walk, joining in our 5K will be a lot of fun. Here are a few tips to help you be ready on race day:
- Sign up with a friend! They’ll be a good motivation for the training before the race, as well as company the day of.
- Drink plenty of water in the days before the race to stay hydrated. But it is recommended not to drink a lot 30 minutes before the race. You don’t want it sloshing around in your belly!
- Wear comfortable shoes. Race day isn’t the time to break in a new pair of shoes.
- Dress as if it’s about 20 degrees warmer than the actual temperature. Your body will warm up once you start moving. If it’s cool at the start of the race, which is likely in November, layer up in something you can easily take off.
- Eat breakfast the day of the race, but not a big one. Oatmeal or cereal and a banana will fuel you up without making you too full.
- Stretch before the race. Hurdle stretches, calf stretches, and sitting with your legs in a V and reaching from one foot to another are good ones to do.
The Rowan Hospice Share the Care 5K is scheduled for Saturday, November 14, at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center. Registration starts at 7:30 a.m., and the race will begin at 9:00. There is also a children’s fun run at 10:00, and live entertainment after the race. Can’t wait to see you there!