It’s a fact that scam artists prey on older adults. Scammers steal and use identifying information to obtain cash, make purchases, and/or open new accounts for services. Your family member may be completely unaware that his or her identity has been stolen.
Watch for signs of identity theft:
- unexpected withdrawals from a bank account;
- utility bills for other addresses;
- bills for medical care that your relative did not receive;
- sudden absence of mail;
- extra charges on a credit card;
- bills for unfamiliar credit card accounts;
- merchants refusing checks;
- calls/notices from debt collectors;
- unexpected debts on a credit report.