October 15 through December 7 is the Medicare open enrollment period. This is the time of year when seniors can change their coverage for Medicare Parts C and D.
Part D is prescription insurance. Part C involves Medicare "Advantage" plans. These plans provide coverage through special provider networks, for example, an HMO. You'll find a quick description of Medicare Plans in our November 2011 newsletter.
Why would you change Part C or Part D?
The main reasons to change involve
- receiving a new medical diagnosis;
- adding or changing a medication;
- an increase in the current insurer's rates;
- a change in the medications covered by the current insurer;
- a change in the services offered by the current insurer.